An Insurance Agent, or Insurance Account Manager, sells and manages insurance policies on behalf of an insurance company. Their duties include attracting new clients and answering their questions, helping clients choose the best policy and making sure all legal requirements are met.
Insurance Agent duties and responsibilities
In order to find and sell the best insurance policies for a given client, an Insurance Agent must be able to perform the following tasks:
- Thoroughly researching and analysing insurance policies.
- Arranging insurance policies in an understandable fashion.
- Occasionally working with Underwriters to adapt policies.
- Communicating with Insurance Adjusters about the life cycle of each claim
- Developing marketing strategies on how to attract new accounts.
- Approaching clients via cold calling and direct mail to enquire about their insurance situation and their future needs
- Promoting new insurance policies to existing customers.
- Participating in continuing education programmes in both insurance and sales
- Maintaining a good relationship with Insurance Brokers.
- Ensuring that financial services industry rules are being followed.
Insurance Agent skills and qualifications
An Insurance Agent must be attentive to multiple clients while looking for new clients and staying up to date on new policies. A successful Insurance Agent candidate will have various prerequisite skills and qualifications, these typically include:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Thorough and keen attention to detail
- Ability to sell products and services to a wide variety of clients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and deal with a large workload
- Ability to use the software utilised within the company